HO railroading is the most popular of the scales in the world, in both continental Europe and North America. HO model trains have a ratio of 1:87 to their full-size compatriots. They are large enough to appreciate fine detail, but small enough to fit in most spaces. Find below a list of best HO model train layouts.
1. One of the largest HO Model Train Layouts
This layout is the largest HO Scale layout in Western New York, coming in at 204 feet long by 14 feet wide. Construction began in 2001 and it is still in progress. It is an interactive timeline, displaying how transportation of goods in Western New York began with the canal in the 1800’s and progressed to trains.
2. “Piermont Division” by Howard Zane
Howard Zane’s 2,850 square foot “Piermont Division” is acclaimed as one of the finest and largest Ho scale private layouts in the country.
3. Rancocas Valley Railroad Layout
Located in Cinnaminson, NJ, the Burlington County Model Railroad Club is home to a massive HO scale layout called the Rancocas Valley Lines.
4. Piedmont Southern Railroad Layout
Located in Danville, Virginia, the Danville Model Railroad Club is home to the Piedmont Southern Railroad. It consists of over 1400 feet of track.
5. The Treasure Coast Model Railroad Layout
The railroad is modeled during the transition era between steam and diesel power of US railroads, which occurred between the 1940’s to the 1970’s. It is HO scale (1:87), utilizing a Digitrax DCC control system.
6. Chesapeake Bay and Western Railroad Layout
Chesapeake bay & Western model railroad club is largest HO Scale model railroad club. Their layout features 28 scale miles of double-track mainline, multiple sidings, classification yards and 247 turnouts.
7. Central California Model Railroad Club
The Central California Model Railroad Club displays their layout which is set in the 1950’s. It is based on rail operations along the coast of California and into Oregon.
Here are Free Resources to Help Build Your Model Railroad
- Top Rated Track Plans for Model Train Beginners
- The ONLY Two Things EVERY Model Train Beginner Must Know..!
- Beginners Getting Started Guide
- 5 Tips to Avoid Derailments, Erratic Stops, and Costly Building Mistakes
- DCC Wiring for Beginners
- Choosing the Right Scale with Limited Space
- The ONLY Time Tested Way to Lay Model Railroad Track
- Installing Model Train Buildings and Roads
- Model Train Layout Sharing w/ Grandkids (Open Letter)
- How to Build Model Train Hills & Trees Perfectly Every Time
- Top 3 Costly Model Train Mistakes & How to Avoid Them
- How to Avoid Costly Mistakes When Building Model Railroad Benchwork